2017: Our Goals & Plans for the Empty Cages Collective
Following the reflection of our efforts in 2016, below are some aims for 2017.
This can’t happen without folks getting involved and getting stuck in! Contact us at email@example.com if anything below calls you to work together with us. Please be specific and honest about your desires, needs and capacity. We hugely appreciate your time and energy.
- Increase the number of people involved in the collective itself.
- Increase the number of ex-prisoners & prisoner friends and family involved both in the collective (and the wider movement).
- Create more opportunities for people to donate and support our work.
- Access social media training for the Collective.
- Find dedicated social media volunteer who can take responsibility for social media for the collective.
- Aim to have at least one collective work day per month.
- Aim to have a face-to-face meeting at least once per month.
- Establish online store to help create sustainable funding for our work.
- Continue to strengthen our research capacity.
Organising Resistance & Events
- Organise No More Prisons Conference in March 2017 with No Prisons Manchester.
- Support local and national resistance to prison expansion with Community Action on Prison Expansion.
- Work with Sisters Uncut to resist the new Women’s Prisons.
- Create a stronger relationship with migrant solidarity & anti-detention centre movements.
- Work with Smash IPP to organise the 2017 Year of Resistance to Free IPP Prisoners.
- Support the Incarcerated Workers Organising Committee to achieve their goals of recruiting 100 members inside and organising an inside-outside campaign against prison labour in 2017.
- Establish a UK wide response network when people die in prisons.
- Organise joint week of action against borders and prisons.
- Organise a summer anti-prison camp.
Publications, Resources & Materials
- Aim to produce a consistent newsletter every two months.
- Produce a toolkit for local groups with resources on doing anti-prison work locally.
- Create a short film about the P.I.C in the UK by the end of the year.
- Produce a zine with the Smash IPP campaign that shares writings from IPP prisoners & their loved ones.
Long Term Organising
- Focus on creating an anti-prison, and potentially anti-represion, network in England/Wales/Scotland to support with networking and movement building. Aim to organise quarterly national meetings.
- Aim to make more links with prison struggles internationally.