2016: Our Goals & Plans for the Empty Cages Collective
Following the reflection of our efforts in 2015, below are some aims for 2016.
This can’t happen without you. Contact us at email@example.com if anything below calls you to work together with us. Please be specific and honest about your desires, needs and capacity. We hugely appreciate your time and energy.
- Increase the number of people involved in the collective itself
- Increase the number of ex-prisoners & prisoner friends and family involved both in the collective (and the wider movement)
- Strengthen our research capacity. Submit more FOI requests, especially around the North Wales Prison.
- Finalise bank account & create more opportunities for people to donate and support our work.
- Create a systematic social media strategy & implement it.
- Try to find some low-cost/affordable office space.
- Aim to meet at least every two weeks.
Events & Actions
- Organise a Women & Trans* Week of Action and Gathering to build relationships with feminist, trans & queer movements and generate increasing action and attention to the prison system.
- Organise a North Wales Tour & Week of Action. Facilitate workshops in welsh & try to support more local people to resist the North Wales Prison Project.
- Organise more public meetings, especially in areas at risk of prison construction and expansion.
- Try to inspire and support more regular resistance to North Wales Prison.
- Organise a two-day gathering for local groups & disparate individuals that want to fight the P.I.C, with skillshares & ideas for action.
Publications, Resources & Materials
- Aim to produce a consistent monthly newsletter.
- Produce a toolkit for local groups with resources on doing anti-prison work locally.
- Produce the Report about the Prison Industrial Complex in England, Scotland and Wales.
- Use more diverse media. Explore the possibility of creating a short film about the prison industrial complex in England/Wales/Scotland.
- Make the Community Action on Prison Expansion website and all materials bilingual (Welsh & English).
- Produce a zine with the Smash IPP campaign that shares writings from IPP prisoners & their loved ones. The focus being indeterminate sentences.
- Increase the visibility of the ECC by writing more articles in magazines, especially Inside Times. Develop a publications collective that can respond to article requests.
Long Term Organising
- Focus on strengthening local groups that exist & supporting new ones to start. Aim to have at least 10 local groups regularly organising by the end of 2016.
- Focus on supporting the launch of the Incarcerated Workers Organising Committee.
- Focus on creating an anti-prison, and potentially anti-represion, network in England/Wales/Scotland to support with networking and movement building. Aim to organise quarterly national meetings.
- Aim to make more links with prison struggles internationally.
- Support the Smash IPP campaign to achieve their goals.
- Aim to build stronger links with other movements (e.g. Anti-Psychiatry Movement, DPAC, Mad Pride)
To get involved in any of the above projects, please make contact by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org